Sunday, July 11, 2010

Unveiling of the Great Kitchen Redo of 2010

Let's start with the inspiration photos...these are what started my desire for a white, more modern kitchen. From Food Network, Chef Ina Garten (the Barefoot Contessa) has a home and a kitchen in the Hamptons that make me drool every time I flip the channel...never mind the food!

The stainless appliances, clean white beadboard, and silver modern hardware really float my boat and I wanted to recreate it. Bad.

Ina believes in a neutral kitchen environment so that the colors of the food are what stand out and steal the show. I completely agree with her and was super excited when I found the picture below. I had the beadboard, the neutral walls, the darker contrasting counters, and the open cabinetry already...just needed a coat of fresh white.

And here recently I found out my dear friend Gwyneth also has a modern yet homey kitchen in Manhattan, completely finished out in white. Too bad I can't afford that insanely fabulous white carrera marble!

So here is my budget friendly, baby version of all those inspirations. I am so happy with the way it turned out...it was worth all that hard work:

My favorite part of the kitchen:

We decided on the same cabinet hardware Ina Garten used. I was reserved about the modern pulls not looking right with the traditional beadboard cabinetry, but in the end I think it worked!

And in case you forgot, here are the "before" pics. What a major change! Leaves me wondering why we didn't do this much sooner...

So glad that's over and the kitchen is back open for business!!


Love,

Laura

4 comments:

Cas said...

Oh. My.
Looks like a completely different kitchen!

And look at you, and your short term memory loss!
This is why flipping houses would be perfect for you...

Anonymous said...

is that the same backsplash? it looks so different.

Shayla said...

WOW!!!! You kitchen looks so fabulous! Crazy the difference just a little paint can make. You did an amazing job.

Laura said...

It is the same backsplash...Ideally I would switch it out to white subway tile...perhaps a project for next summer!